You are here
Access to UC-Berkeley and other UC libraries
Stanford Libraries participates in reciprocal programs with many of the University of California campus libraries.
University of California-Berkeley
For Undergraduates and all Stanford ID cardholders:
- UC-Berkeley welcomes visitors and those who present a Stanford ID card may apply for a Stacks Pass. See Information for Visitors to plan your visit and apply for a Stacks Pass (can be for a same day visit). Borrowing privileges must be purchased unless you qualify for the enhanced services described below.
- If there is a book at UC Berkeley to which you would like access and it is not available at Stanford, please submit an Interlibrary Borrowing Request and we will obtain it for you.
For Stanford faculty, graduate students and academic staff only: Direct from UC-Berkeley (RLCP) remote borrowing service and visiting UC-Berkeley
- When eligible users place any Interlibrary Borrowing Request and UC-Berkeley is able to supply the item, it is checked out directly to the user's UC-Berkeley Library Account, and sent to Stanford via courier. This direct check-out of materials gives users much longer loan periods than typical for interlibrary borrowing requests. Users must however manage this additional/separate library account and are responsible to UC Berkeley for fines and fees that accrue.
- The Direct from Berkeley (RLCP) program includes on-site privileges when visiting the UC Berkeley campus in person. Use your Stanford University ID to check out books there.
- Renew your books or view your UC-Berkeley Library Account. If it's your first time logging into the account, choose patron/pin and click "forgot pin".
- Return books to any UC Berkeley book drop or to the Green Library circulation desk at Stanford at least 4 days before the due date to ensure materials are returned to Berkeley on time.
- For questions, assistance or information about your UC-Berkeley account, email RLCP@library.berkeley.edu or call (510) 642-5425.
Other University of California libraries' Reciprocal Services Program (RSP)
Stanford faculty, graduate students and acdemic staff are also eligible for free on-site borrowing privileges at the campuses listed below. Other Stanford community members (e.g. Stanford undergraduates or staff) may need to pay for a card. Some UC campuses require that Stanford faculty, graduate students and staff carry a RSP Card issued by the Green Library Circulation & Privileges Desk at Stanford. The RSP card demonstrates your eligibility, and that your Stanford library account is in good standing. Email SUL-Privileges@stanford.edu to obtain this card.
UC Libraries are welcoming to all public visitors. We recommend you read local access policies before your visit.