I am the subject specialist for students, faculty, and staff who need help using chemistry and chemical engineering resources and am the primary liaison for the Chemistry and Chemical Engineering Departments. My responsibilities include developing and managing chemistry and chemical engineering collections, and providing reference help and library instruction. Behind the scenes, I collaborate and cooperate closely with staff at other Stanford Libraries to deliver services and build library collections. I also contribute to library-wide activities such as playing a lead role for xSearch, a search service that allows users to search multiple resources at one time, and support for publication feeds in Stanford Profiles.
- A.M.L.S., Library Science, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI (1981)
- B.S., Botany, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI (1978)
- A.S., Science, Kalamazoo Valley Community College, Kalamazoo, MI (1974)
Professional interests include end-user searching and the development of search interfaces, collection development and management, and issues associated with scholarly publications.
Current professional activities:
- ACS Publications Academic Roundtable (ART), Member, 2014 - present
- Royal Society of Chemistry Publications, Library Advisory Board Member, 2011 - present
- Journal of Chemical Education, Editorial Advisory Board Member, 2010 - 2020
- ACS Joint Board Council Committee on Chemical Abstracts, Member, 2010 - 2015, Chair, 2013
- ACS Chemical Information Division. Education Committee, Member, 2010 - 2020, Chair, 2013 - 2019
- CSA (Chemical Structure Association) Trust, Trustee (2007 - present), Newsletter Editor (2012 - present)
- Collaborative Working Group of GDCh CIC - ACS CINF, Member, 2005 - present
- CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, Editorial Advisory Board Member, 1999 - 2019
- Science of Synthesis (Thieme), Advisory Board Member, 1999 - present
- Banik, G. M., Baysinger, G., Kamat, P. V., Pienta, N. J., Eds. ACS Guide to Scholarly Communication; ACS Publications, 2020.
- Baysinger, G. 2016. Introducing the Journal of Chemical Education's Special Issue on Chemical Information. Journal of Chemical Education, 93 (3): 401-405. URL: http://pubs.acs.org/toc/jceda8/93/3
- Special Libraries Association, Chemistry Division and American Chemical Society, Division of Chemical Information. Marion Peters, Grace Baysinger, and Cory Craig (Editors of 2nd Revised Edition). 2012. Information Competencies for Chemistry Undergraduates: the elements of information literacy. URL: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Information_Competencies_for_Chemistry_Undergraduates
- Grethe G., Baysinger G, Deplanque R, Fels G, Fresen I, Twiss-Brooks A, Zimmermann G. 2011. XCITR - Explore Chemical Information Teaching Resources. CCCE (ACS Division of Chemical Education, Committee on Computers in Chemical Education.) Newsletter. 2011; (Fall): Paper 1. URL: http://www.ccce.divched.org/P1Fall2011CCCENL
- Baykoucheva S, Baysinger G. 2011. A New Reality for Academic Chemistry Librarians: An Interview with Grace Baysinger</a>. Chemical Information Bulletin. 63 (3): 17-20. URL: http://bulletin.acscinf.org/node/211
- Baysinger G., Cramer, T.J. 2011. Using xSearch for Accelerating Research : Review of Deep Web Technologies Federated Search Service. The Charleston Advisor 13 (2): 55-60. URL: http://searchworks.stanford.edu/view/9388228
- Baysinger, G. 2011. Electronic theses and dissertations: Ethical and publishing issues. Abstracts of Papers of the American Chemical Society, 241 (CHED-1242), MAR 27 2011. URL: http://abstracts.acs.org/chem/241nm/program/view.php
- Baysinger, G. 2010. Getting the biggest bang for your buck: Methods and strategies for managing journal collections. Abstracts of Papers of the American Chemical Society. 240 (CINF-21), AUG 22 2010. URL: http://acscinf.org/docs/meetings/240nm/presentations/240nm21.pdf