Access and privileges
Who can access Stanford Libraries?
Some library spaces are open. To comply with safety guidelines, we can only permit a limited number of people in these spaces and hours have been reduced. You must be a member of the Stanford community and meet all the following requirements. You will need an appointment to visit Special Collections, the Music Library, or the Archive of Recorded Sound.
To visit the library, you must:
- Have an active Stanford ID card. If you are on leave, your ID card may not be active.
- Complete the COVID-19 Hygiene Best Practices, EHS-2470-WEB in STARS.
- Participate in the COVID-19 surveillance testing each week you are planning to visit a library location, if required by university policy. Please reference these testing instruction links for faculty, staff, and postdocs and for students.
- Additionally, on the day of your visit:
- Bring your active Stanford University ID card to enter the building.
- Complete the Stanford Health Check Tool to self-report your health status. You may be asked to display your Health Check Tool status. Courtesy (Spouse) ID card and Retiree ID card holders must complete the Stanford Visitor: Daily COVID-19 Health Attestation Form in lieu of the Health Check Tool.
- Do not come to the library if you are sick or feel unwell.
- Do not come to the library if you are under self-isolation orders by the University or a medical professional.
- Face coverings are optional for patrons who are fully vaccinated. For those who are not fully vaccinated or decline to state their status on Health Check, face coverings and physical distancing will continue to be required, as per Stanford University policy.
Library access is temporarily suspended for the following groups:
- Stanford Alumni
- Hospital clinicians and staff
- Continuing Studies
- Summer program participants
- Short-term visiting scholars
- Reciprocal program participants:
- RLCP (Stanford/UC Berkeley)
- RSP (Stanford/UC schools)
- BorrowDirect and BorrowDirect Plus (Stanford/Ivies + Chicago & Duke)
- Fee-based library cardholders
For more information, contact Privileges.