You are here
Borrow, renew, return
What you'll need
Eligible Stanford ID cardholders can check out materials at the Libraries.
Number of items that may be borrowed
Campus ID Card holders have no book checkout limit. Some patrons are limited to 25 items. (Books from the Medical Library and SLAC don't count toward this limit.)
Length of time items may be kept
Most books in Green Library can be borrowed for 28 days by undergraduates, for a quarter by graduate students, and for a year by faculty. Bound journals and periodicals can usually be borrowed for 7 days. Policies vary by branch and type of material, so check individual libraries for specifics.
Print materials on reserve for Stanford University courses can typically be checked out for two hours to several days. If you checkout the material near closing time, overnight checkout may be permitted at some libraries. Please inquire about the policy on overnight use from the lending library.
Media reserve materials at the Media & Microtext Center in Green Library can usually be checked out for four hours. Overnight check out is available within four hours of the media area's closing time. Items checked out overnight must be returned within one hour after opening the following day.
Media & Microtext Center
The Media & Microtext collection has special policies. Please contact the Media & Microtext Center if you have questions.
- The microtext collection (microfilm, microfiche, microcards, and microprints) must be used in the Media & Microtext Center.
- The media collection (DVDs, Blu-ray discs, Videogames, CD-ROMs, Laser discs, slides, etc) may be borrowed by most users for seven days. Media reserve materials may be borrowed for four hours.
- Renew materials online using My Account.
- Faculty can request an extended loan for course-related media.
- Some media can only be viewed in the Media & Microtext Center.
- Patrons may reserve media items for scheduled loans, such as for a group screening. Reservations can be placed at the Media & Microtext Center desk.