Copyright Reminder

Public displays of movies & video

Generally speaking, video tapes and DVDs that are purchased, rented, or checked out of the library are for home viewing purposes, unless you have a license to use them elsewhere.  That means no license is required to view a recording in your dorm room, or with family or friends.  However, any public display - on campus or off - requires a license, unless the display qualifies for the face-to-face teaching exemption, as discussed below.  There is a common misconception that you only need a license if you plan to charge a fee to view the movie. Even where do you not plan to charge a fee, you must secure a license unless the narrow face-to-face teaching exemption applies.

To obtain a public performance license, you need to contact a licensing organization. Major firms that handle these licenses include:

Swank Motion Pictures, Inc.

(800) 876-5577

Criterion Pictures

(800) 890-9494

Motion Picture Licensing Corporation (MPLC}

(800) 462-8855