In support of University work, Stanford Libraries will borrow materials from a worldwide network of libraries for Stanford faculty, students, staff and visiting scholars.
How to request an item from another library
1. Check Stanford Libraries collections first - it's likely we have it!
- SearchWorks Catalog indicates if the item or source of an article/chapter is available in our library stacks and/or is available online.
- SearchWorks Articles+ for full-text access to 300 million articles and e-books across hundreds of licensed and open access databases.
- Citation Linker is another easy way to check for online access to a known article citation or an e-book.
- Proquest Dissertation & Theses Global provides full-text dissertations and theses.
- HathiTrust Digital Library includes millions of digitized items from research libraries worldwide.
2. If it isn't available at Stanford, place a request
To receive PDFs of articles or book chapters
Requests are often filled within a couple of days, though delivery times may vary according to supplying library.
- Stanford faculty, students and staff (except School of Medicine): Request PDF of article/book chapter (SUNetID required)
- School of Medicine and Medical Center researchers: Request PDF through DocXpress
To borrow books, microfilm, DVDs or other media
Requests are generally filled quickly, within 1-14 days depending on supplying library. Items from UC Berkeley are received within a day or two.
- Stanford faculty, students and staff (except School of Medicine): Request an item (SUNetID required)
- School of Medicine and Medical Center researchers: Request an item through DocXpress
Note: Requests will be completed using the best lending stream: BorrowDirect, UC Berkeley RLCP or other libraries.
- BorrowDirect books are delivered to the Green library circulation desk within 4 days. Items are checked out on your Stanford Libraries account for 8 weeks and are eligible for one 8-week renewal using My Account. If you need a BorrowDirect book longer, simply request another copy.
Stanford Libraries Interlibrary Services
Green Library East, Room 161, One Crothers Way, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305
Email: email@example.com Phone: (650) 725-1278
For other libraries wanting to borrow from Stanford Libraries, please see Interlibrary Lending.
Business, Law, Medical and SLAC researchers are served by a coordinate library: